This recipe is very unique in that the bread is fried instead of baked. Enjoy!
- 1 c. cornmeal, stone ground
- ¾ c. boiling water
- 1 Tbsp. organic shortening
- 1 tsp. brown sugar
- 1 tsp. sea salt
- Start by combining the cornmeal, salt and sugar. Slowly add the boiling water and mix well. Stir in the shortening until it melts into the batter.
- Pour canola oil to a depth of ½” in a skillet and place it on medium-high heat.
- Make flattened balls using the batter and fry in hot oil until crisp (only turn once) for about 5 minutes.
- Drain the corn breads on paper towels and serve hot with honey.