Try this old fashioned, traditional sweet potato pie recipe for the holiday season. Indulge in this delicious and comforting pie topped with meringue.
YIELDS: Makes 2 servings
• 2 cups sweet potatoes, peeled and cooked
• 2 eggs
• 1 cup milk
• 1 cups sugar
• 1/4 teaspoon salt
• 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
• 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
• 1/2 stick melted butter
• 2 tablespoons bourbon
• 9 -inch unbaked pie crust
To make the meringue:
• ¼ cup sugar
• 3 egg whites
METHOD OF PREPARATION:
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Use an electric hand mixer to combine potatoes, sugar, butter, eggs, bourbon, salt and spices.
3. Once the ingredients are well incorporated, add milk and mix some more.
4. Add the filling to the pie crust.
5. Place in the oven and bake for about 45 minutes, until the pie is a light golden color.
6. Remove from oven and allow the pie to cool.
7. To make the meringue: Use an electric mixer to beat the egg whites. Once soft peaks are seen in the egg whites, gradually add the sugar. Beat until the sugar has dissolved and the mixture is glossy and firm.
8. Use a spatula to spoon the meringue onto the cooled pie.
9. Sprinkle some granulated sugar over the top.
10. Bake for 10 minutes, until the meringue has attained a delicate brown color.